Q. How do I cancel an ILL request? How do I edit a request I already submitted?


Only requests with the status “Awaiting Request Processing” may be canceled or edited. 

To cancel/edit a request:

  1. Select the appropriate transaction number (TN#).
  2. Select "Cancel Request" or “Edit Request” in the top right corner of the page.

For requests that have moved out of the status “Awaiting Request Processing”, please contact ILL staff for assistance at ASU-ILL@asu.edu.