Q. Is there a default or standard metadata schema I can use to describe and organize my research data?
There is not a default metadata standard for research data.
- Good planning and consistency with your file names, keywords, names, and dates will result in well-described and well-organized data. This alone may create adequate metadata for your project.
There are general and discipline-specific metadata schemas available.
- Your schema will be informed by the research question you are investigating, your disciplinary focus, or even where you will publish.
- The DataCite Metadata Schema is a general schema that may be helpful for you.
- The Digital Curation Centre (DCC) provides a list of disciplinary metadata schema that may be appropriate for your project.
To learn more about research data management:
- Watch the Research Data Management Basics tutorial.
- Read our library guide on research data management to learn more about metadata best practices and other strategies.
For help with your project:
- Request a consultation by filling out the online request form.
Get in Touch!